Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Backpack Politics

So, prayer rally in Houston. One can only wonder what it cost to rent out the Astrodome, and for only 30,000 people, that's a pretty high price tag for sure. Lots of hub bub. Lots to criticize. I myself got all worked up reading about it. But then I came across an article about a bigger event. 100,000 attendees, exponentially more than the rally, but it didn't seem to draw the same national attention.* Hmm. Interesting.


The event "had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with Texas families struggling through hard economic times." It was a back-to-school event where Houston families in need could get free school supplies, immunizations and even food. The need was 4 times greater than anticipated and families had to be turned away.

On Saturday, Governor Perry prayed for "those who have lost hope". It was very public, got lots of press coverage, and he will probably announce his candidacy for President very soon. Yet, just down the street, literally, citizens were seeking basic tools for education and were forced to leave empty-handed because the need was too great. The dichotomy of the two events is telling. I find it disturbing. I think it's wrong. So does my backpack.


If I am going to carry around politics and religion in my backpack (hey, everybody's doing it), I especially like what Tanner Herriott posted today on facebook:
Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed.
Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows. http://bible.us/Isa1.17.NLT



The widow part may need a little updating, but that about sums up what I want from my elected officials. Do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Fight for rights - for women, children, oppressed social groups. Throw in some freedom and that's a recipe for success. And you don't need to rent out the Astrodome to convince anyone either. Am I right?!


Whew. That was heavy. Now I'm off to London to throw molotov cocktails in protest. Power to the people!!

*Here is the link:
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/08/08/290973/prayer-rally-school-supplies/?fb_comment_id=fbc_10150250376635684_17857664_10150251372535684#f25febe8b4

No comments:

Post a Comment